Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Responsibility


Responsibility: Knowing when to say no. By now, everyone in the horse world probably knows about the asshat (may I Fugly?) who starved almost 100 horses and burros to death in Nebraska. Jason Meduna. There are 200+ horses and burros who now are getting the food and vet care they need. Most are up for adoption. I was seriously considering a couple of the burros. Filled out the adoption form and it hit me. We have 11 equines for goodness sake and when Belle has her baby, we will have 12. What if Sandy and Tessa (above) get sick and need more care. They are getting up in years. How could I tell them "No, I can't take care of you now". I spent a pretty much sleepless night, tossing and turning, pondering this problem. When I got up this morning at 4 a.m. I had made a decision. I am not adopting 2 burros. As much as I would love to, I can't take a chance on short changing the ones I already have. I let the gal know at Front Range Rescue and she said "Thank you for thinking it through". I will continue to help these horses and burros by donating to Habitat for Horses and marking my donation "Nebraska 200". That's the most I can do and still be "responsibile". Oh yeah, I would like to teach Mr and Mrs Jason Meduna to be responsibile!!!

3 comments:

Aero said...

I know how you feel all too well. It is hard to say No, but it is the logical thing to do. Every time I look into the eyes of the dogs up for adoption at PetSmart my heart tugs hard. BUT if I added another then that would leave less loving time for current resident angels...and less money for all their spoiling and care. Your decision is the right one. :)

possum59 said...

It's very important to know what you can do and when you have reached your limits...One of the hardest lessons is that we can't take on all the world's problems by ourselves...What you are already doing is so amazing!

possum59 said...

What you are already doing is so amazing! Don't feel guilty about not being able to take on more.